Wednesday, October 24, 2012

40 Days of Prayer 
The Desert of Waiting
  
"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you." Psalm 63:1-5 NIV

"There is so often a great disparity between how we feel about faith and how we are meant to feel. Why do so few people genuinely find joy and pleasure in their relationship with God? Why do most people feel they have to either pay God back for all He's done (buy His love) or somehow keep making up for all their inadequacies and failures (prove their love)? Why are the words of Psalm 63:1-5 not an honest reflection of our lives on most days?" Francis Chan, Crazy Love

Mediocre, lukewarm faith. If there is one thing you do not get from David, it is lukewarm faith. He is either failing colossally or triumphing gloriously. David is on the run, hiding in the desert having found out that Saul wants to kill him. He cries out to God who's "love is better than life." The passionate words he writes in Psalm 63 testify to his great love and faith in God despite his circumstances. Chan says that lukewarm living while claiming the name of Christ disgusts God. "So, because you are lukewarm-neither hot nor cold-I am about to spit you out of my mouth." (Rev. 3:16 NIV)

The circumstances of life can place us like David in the desert and waiting. Much like we are right now with Grace Redeemer....waiting....waiting. What happens to our love and passion in the desert of waiting? Does it wane along with our enthusiasm? Nothing is ever wasted by God including dwelling in the desert. God will use this time to sharpen our focus, define our vision, and strengthen our body for the ministry ahead. In the desert we seek and pray. We immerse ourselves in the word of God and praise Him for the now and the future. And we watch our faith grow as God's love becomes "better than life."

Take time to lift up your hands and praise the Lord for what He has done and what He is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment